Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Fakes and auctions...

Wow.  Just a little update.
Just discovered a DRSD fake which almost made it to auction.  I did not see one group of watches during my inspection and BAM, sure enough, here is a fake.  Crazy.
This had everything fake but for the movement, dial, hands, case, etc.  Not for anything, the case was not too bad.  These counterfeiters are really getting better and better.
I do not know if this was photographed but if you see a fake in the catalog don't yell at me.  It will obviously not be sold but it is a little frightening.  
I am glad I am doing this.  It is painstaking and stressful, but in the end I want an auction house that people can trust 100%.
This watch supposedly was consigned by a collector overseas.  Whether they knew is anyones guess, but auction houses have a difficult position where they make money selling stuff and with each piece that is rejected, their profit is lowered.  Now can everyone see why there are so many fakes sold?
My new found calling is really a "work in progress".  I can only inspect if I see the piece and I believe I have now seen all the rolex/tudor, but I am going in again to review one more time so when this begins on June 4th there are no questions and people can bid with confidence.
Oh yeah, I will be posting some pics of that "special piece" next week.  There is a whole lot of protocol so I have to keep mum, but I promise it will be worth it.  There are a few really nice pieces including my famous DRSD tropical dial!  Yeah, I am cleaning house and will start over this summer.  I actually bought a few pieces including a blue MC, 16520 S serial B & P, Tudor Sub, 5513 maxi. 
Well, gotta wait for FEDEX then get on my horse.  The damn pool heater is not working and I have a bunch of people coming over the weekend so I am stressed.  
Never a dull moment at the "ponderosa"...

JB

No comments: